ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 5.5 -> 6.2

2010-03-05 05:59:48
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 5.5 -> 6.2
From: Ian Smith <ian.smith AT OUCS.OX.AC DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 10:57:47 +0000
On Thursday 04 Mar 2010 11:46 pm, John D. Schneider wrote:
> Because we have as many as 4
> instances on one server, we will be forced by the upgrade requirements
> to upgrade all of those on the same day.  At least, I think that is
> true.  When I upgraded a test server from 5.4 to 6.1 a couple weeks ago,
> I was told to uninstall 5.4 before installing 6.1, and that they could
> not exist on the same server.  Am I understanding this correctly?

John,

the problem of co-existence - at least on AIX - is actually at installation
time. On test and beta-test systems we successfully ran 6.1 and 5.5
servers. If my memory serves me, installing 6.1 trashed the existing 5.5
code - so, copy the code /usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin to a separate area
before installing 6.1, and point your environment variables - DSMSERV_DIR
and DSMSERV_CONFIG - appropriately.

Of course, this leaves you unable to upgrade 5.5 on this box, but if you
have another LPAR / machine available, you can always install the upgrade
version there and copy across the binaries.

As I said, we ran this in a test environment, its not something I'd
willingly do in a production one, but sometimes needs must when the devil
drives ...

Ian Smith
Oxford University Computing Services