ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 5.5 using LANFree backup really "slow"

2009-08-02 11:28:24
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 5.5 using LANFree backup really "slow"
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 01:27:16 +1000
Flavio

You didn't say what your client machine is.  How about an image copy and
a complete incremental on the weekend and a incremental-by-date on other
days.  For a full restore you can restore the image and then apply the
incrementals.  This should be reasonably quick.   Incremental-by-date is
the fastest form of incremental backup, but is not complete,  hence you
need a normal incremental periodically.

I'm a little perplexed by your stated need for a full backup.  Most  TSM
installations do not bother with fulls, as they are unnecessary.  Using
a separate storage pool for this node, or a shared but collocated
storage pool will provide the necessary restore speed.  If that is not
sufficient consider an active pool, and if that is still not fast enough
you can go with the image plus incremental.

Regards

Steve

Steven Harris
TSM Admin,  looking for work,  Sydney Australia

Flavio Junior wrote:
Hi Steve...

Well, my backup windows is something like 10 12 hours, size of a full
backup is near of 2TB and incremental per day not bigger than 20G.

My idea is to perform a full backup on thursday (to keep a copy off
the office on weekend) and incremental/differential during the week.
OK, new thing, I've TWO TS3100, so I'm going to make a copy of the
tape on another library, but I think this is not a problem with my
backup windows as it will be copied from library to library without
prodcution server involved, right?

Thanks again folks...