ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM gui

2009-07-22 14:39:10
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM gui
From: "Clark, Margaret" <MClark AT SDDPC DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:36:42 -0700
Carol Trible wrote: "It seems that long term customers tend to stick to the
command line, but new customers who start with the Administration Center like
it, so I would reccomend giving it a try."

I started administering TSM in 2006, and my first task was to install the
Administration Center for the first time at this site.  I've used it ever since.
I am currently using the 6.1 release to administer two 5.5.3.0 servers and one
5.5.1.0 server.
(Incidentally, I had trouble finding the software for the new Admin Center, and
so did the first three IBM staff members who tried to help me.
Although the installation process tells you it is  "Installing... TSM
Administration Center", the product name you have to look for now is "Tivoli
Storage Manager Reporting and Monitoring".)

The 6.1 Admin Center is genuinely better than previous releases, and twice as
fast, but it's still agonizingly slow for longer inquiries.
Some queries are impossible when using the Admin Center command line interface,
because they die before returning results.
For the last few months, I've had a Servergraph tool to use as well, and
inquiries that take only seconds with Servergraph take ten minutes using the
Admin Center.

I'd certainly recommend that new TSM administrators try out the Admin Center -
it's so useful - but you still need a LOT of patience to use it.

- Margaret Clark
Systems Programmer, San Diego Data Processing Corporation