ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Desperation, DR, and four TS3100 libraries...

2009-07-10 00:07:21
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Desperation, DR, and four TS3100 libraries...
From: "John D. Schneider" <john.schneider AT COMPUTERCOACHINGCOMMUNITY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 21:06:15 -0700
Wanda,
   My solution isn't much better, but here goes:

1) Like you said, define 1 manual library, 1 device class, with 4 LTO4
drives, and get them all working and defined to the DR environment.
2) You will be using the IBM drives, of course, so I am presuming the
IBM drivers will be installed by you or your DR vendor.
3) Start a TSM administrator window in -console mode, so you can see the
tape mount requests.
4) When your tape operator sees a tape mount request, he puts the
appropriate tape in the I/O door belonging to that tape drive's library.
5) You didn't say if you were Unix, Linux, or Windows.  I will explain
it as if it is AIX, and you can transpose.  From a Unix shell window,
your tape operator uses tapeutil, the linemode library manager that
comes with the IBM drivers, to do the tape mounts for you.  He can issue
the commands to move the tape from the element number of the I/O door
straight to the tape drive.
6) When he sees an unmount request, he issues the tapeutil command to
move the tape from the drive to the I/O door, and puts the tape back in
the stack.

If it were me tackling this one, I would write two short ksh scripts
called "tape_mount" and "tape_unmount" where the tape operator just puts
in which tape volser he is mounting, and which drive it should go in,
and let the ksh scripts translate that into the actual device name, and
tapeutil syntax, so there would be fewer mistakes.

Also if it were me, I would build this experimentally using a tape
library or libraries and drives while still back home, so I could build
the script and debug it, then bring it with me to the DR exercise, and
all I would have to change would be the /dev/smcX and /dev/rmtX device
names, and start mounting tapes.

Do you see any fatal flaws in this?  It is a lot like your original
idea, but typing the mounts and unmounts on the faceplate of four
different TS3100's would drive me buggy.  Hopefully this would be less
tedious.

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
The Computer Coaching Community, LLC