ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Desperation, DR, and four TS3100 libraries...

2009-07-10 13:17:38
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Desperation, DR, and four TS3100 libraries...
From: "Sergio O. Fuentes" <sfuentes AT UMD DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 13:15:41 -0400
Here are my thoughts:

Since this is a DR instance, all TSM data should be read-only.  With that said,
you can restore the production TSM instance four times, so that you'll
essentially have 4 identical TSM instances running.  Each TSM instance should
have its own tape library.  Mark all copy volumes readonly or unavailable to
start off with.

To determine which tapes should go where, you can run off of one instance and
run volumeusage or content selects for specific DR nodes.  That'll get you a
tape list and you can more accurately load/checkin tapes to balance the
restores across all 4 instances.  Since these tapes probably aren't collocated,
there will inevitably be some tape swapping between libraries, but at least
you'll be able to run restores off of 4 drives and you'll minimize the number
of tape swaps you'll need to do (if you balanced correctly).  Invariably,
you'll be doing some amount of tape swaps, so maybe your just better off
running the one instance with manual drives.  Oh well, I tried.

HTH,
Sergio