ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Hardware upgrade question(s)

2009-01-29 10:16:42
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Hardware upgrade question(s)
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 10:14:12 -0500
Here's how I would handle your migration.  We have done this with our TSM
servers, as well as all kinds of other servers, including Oracle.

We call this a Storage Swing - swinging storage from one server to another.

Conceptually, this is unplugging the storage from the old server and
plugging it into the new server, just using the SAN to do it.  Or, if you
were JBOD storage, it is unplugging the scsi cable and hooking it to the
new server.  The AIX work would be the same reguardless of whether it was
SCSI/SSA/JBOD, ISCSI, FC/SAN.

Setup new server
- setup and patch AIX
- setup inittab entries, crontabs, etc, etc
- install tsm
- copy to this new server your unique files that are in rootvg
   (dsmserv.dsk, dsmserv.opt, etc, etc)
   (probably the contents of your /usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin)
   (we keep all of this on our SAN storage)

SAN work
- zone new server HBA's to storage
- do whatever you need to do on the new server for SAN storage
- never used a Hitachi box . . .but do whatever you need to do on it
--> BUT DON"T MAKE THE SAN LUNS AVAILABLE TO THE NEW SERVER YET
   - For our storage (emc), what we do is NOT MASK the storage to the
server HBA's
   - It would be VERY BAD to have the luns avaialabe to both servers
concurrently!!!!

Cutover work - part 1
- backup TSM
- make some kind of backup of non-tsm files on the SAN storage
   - I would tar them up and copy them somewhere

Cutover work - part 2 - on old server
- shutdown TSM
- have any important files in rootvg changed?  If yes, copy them to the new
server.
   (rdist can be usefull for helping if you have a lot of roogvg files)
- varyoffvg  SAN volume groups
- exportvg SAN volume groups

Cutover work - part 3 - SAN - SWING STORAGE
- unmask the luns from old server
- mask the luns to the new server

Cutover work - part 4 - on new server
- cfgmgr
   - your old luns are brought into the new server
- setup up multi-pathing???
- importvg  san volume groups
- mount filesystems
- startup/test TSM
- perform a reboot test
   - shutdown TSM
   - reboot AIX
   - does every come up correctly???
      - filesystems mount
      - tsm starts up

That's it.

Rick

             goc
             <gooooc AT GMAIL DOT COM
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: Hardware upgrade question(s)

             01/28/2009 02:27
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

> Do you currently have SAN storage on the old server?

me : yes (xp12000)

> Do you boot from the SAN storage, or is your rootvg on local/internal
> drives?

me : no (hdisk0/hdisk1)

> Are you keeping that SAN storage, or replacing it also?

me : keeping

> If you currently use SAN storage, is your entire TSM db/log and any other
> filesystems on the SAN storage?

me : yes

> For example, we use internal disks for our boot volume (rootvg), so TSM
is
> installed and lives on the internal drives.  Our TSM server db/log and
> other related filesystems are all on external SAN storage.
>
> Depending on your answers, your migration to the new server could be very
> easy . . . just a storage swing.
>
> Rick

me : thank you, can you help me some more ? :-)

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.