ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How can i see the files stored on a filespace on a node

2009-01-21 14:44:24
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How can i see the files stored on a filespace on a node
From: Wanda Prather <wanda.prather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 14:43:14 -0500
On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 12:54 PM, Todd D. Taft <todd_taft AT unc DOT edu> wrote:

> I've issued SQL queries on the server similar to the one you suggested, and
> I've noticed that they are much slower than if I issue the equivalent
> queries using the ba client.  Does the ba client issue a different query to
> get its information, or is there some reason why the ba client queries are
> able to respond much faster than the server SQL queries?

Depends on how "similar".  The backups table is indexed.  If your SQL query
has wild cards or doesn't use an index, it can REALLY drag.  NODE_NAME is
one of the indexed columns, you'll always do better when going after 1
NODE_NAME at a time.  Even properly indexed, the SQL query can be slower
than the client access, though.

> Is there a way that a TSM administrator, who might not know the node
> password, can access the standard client to issue the various commands on
> the client?  Obviously, an administrator could change the node password and
> then login with the ba client, but without changing the password, is it
> possible for a TSM admin to see exactly what the client sees?

In general, you can do want you want with -virtualnodename without directly
accessing the client or changing the password.

On your own machine (let's assume windows here):

CD into the c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient directory and start the
client this way:

dsm  -virtualnodename=NAME-OF-CLIENT-TO-VIEW

You will get a prompt asking for the password.  In the prompt box, OVERTYPE
the name of the client with your own TSM admin id and then use your TSM
admin id password.  When the GUI opens, you will see the file tree of
NAME-OF-CLIENT-TO-VIEW, not your own machine.

Also works for the command line version.  On *IX systems, adjust the
directory accordingly.  You must be starting the client on the SAME platform
as the client you want to view; Windows to Windows, *IX to *IX.  And your
TSM admin id must have system, domain, or clientowner authority relative to
the client you want to view.