ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] LAN-free storage agent backing up other clients?

2008-11-19 16:01:24
Subject: [ADSM-L] LAN-free storage agent backing up other clients?
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 15:59:02 -0500
I know that I can install the storage agent on a client and do LAN-free
backups of that client to tape or disk.  But when I read pages 1&2, and
especially FIGURE 2 on page 2, it seems like you can also back up other
clients TO the storage agent over IP.  If I understand it correctly, in
the dsm.sys file of the client without the storage agent, you specify
TCP/IP as your LANFREECOMMMETHOD, and for LANFREETCPSERVERADDRESS you
specify the IP address of the client WITH the storage agent.  The client
without the storage agent would then back its data up over IP to the
client with the storage agent, and the client with the storage agent
would transfer that data via the SAN to disk or tape.

So here are my questions:

1.      Have I interpreted this correctly?
2.      If not, what did I get wrong?
3.      If so, does anyone use this feature?
4.      If no one uses the feature, why not?  It would seem like it help
TSM scale farther.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Curtis Preston | VP Data Protection
GlassHouse Technologies, Inc.

T: +1 760 710 2004 | C: +1 760 419 5838 | F: +1 760 710 2009
cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com | www.glasshouse.com
<http://www.glasshouse.com/>
Infrastructure :: Optimized