ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] LAN-free storage agent backing up other clients?

2008-11-19 16:38:20
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] LAN-free storage agent backing up other clients?
From: Stef Coene <stef.coene AT DOCUM DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 22:37:02 +0100
On Wednesday 19 November 2008, Curtis Preston wrote:
> 1.    Have I interpreted this correctly?
Yes

> 2.    If not, what did I get wrong?
> 3.    If so, does anyone use this feature?
Yes, we do.  We have to backup data over a remote SAN and we don't have enough
licenses for each client.

> 4.    If no one uses the feature, why not?  It would seem like it help
> TSM scale farther.
This is backup direct to tape.  You can not use a disk based pool.
So you need enough tape drives for all the client.  Or the data to backup is
small enough so don't hold the tapes too long.

Stef