ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Trouble doing tsm db restore

2008-08-28 09:43:19
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Trouble doing tsm db restore
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:42:25 -0400
You CAN delete an off-line storage pool volume; you will need to specify
'discard=yes' to do it (I do it all the time at D/R).

My approach, as a semi-paranoid admin, would be to start by marking all the
disk storage pools read-only. Then migrate them to the next pool. And then
update them to 'unavailable', disable client sessions (probably about the time
I made the pools read-only), and do the database backup.

Restore on the new system, and then delete the old disk pools from the new
system configuration. Build the new disk pools.

I missed the original post - is this a different tape technology, or just a new
tape library? If the technology is different, I'd take a shot at marking one
drive unavailable on the old TSM server and attach it to the new server -
define it as a manual library with one drive. Then do the export on the old
server to tape, check out the tape, and fire up the import on the new server.
Mount the tape(s) by hand. Gotta be faster than ethernet.

But it will require physical access to an old drive on the new system.

Hope this helps -

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc.