ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Different nodes backing up under same name

2008-08-14 16:02:01
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Different nodes backing up under same name
From: Bob Booth <booth AT UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:00:54 -0500
On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 02:16:55PM -0500, Ochs, Duane wrote:
> I don't think there is a way to get around the schedule already running
> issue with a single system name for multiple servers. I'm surprised the
> TSM server doesn't balk about multiple backups running with the same
> node name at the same time.

I think it is because the systems seem to 'poll' at slightly different
rates, so some win, some loose.

> Scheduling a dsmc backup inc through windows scheduler would be one way
> to eliminate that.

That is what I figured, but I don't have any control over the systems, they
are in a different department than ours, so I wanted to make it as simple
as possible for the administrator to deal with.

> But they would all try to run at the same time, then they would run at
> the same time.

Sure, it has happened before, and I have seen the messages about 'multiple
schedulers running', it is rare however.

> Doesn't each successive backup expire the data from the other systems ?
> Or does it ignore it because it's a different filespace ?

It seems to ignore it.

> Sounds messy. But could be a very interesting licensing loophole ;-)

We are trying to do it for accounting reasons.  These are 'customers' and
we bill by 'client node' with a minimum charge per month.  We consider these
desktop machines for purposes of licensing.  (however, don't get me started
on the Tivoli License Nightmare (TM))

Bob