ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Archives across Wan Best practices

2007-09-25 09:59:12
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Archives across Wan Best practices
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 09:56:14 -0400
On Sep 25, 2007, at 9:38 AM, Hayden, Mark wrote:

Hi All, just wanted to be pointed in the right direction to find
information on best practices on Archives across the T1 WAN? We are
having trouble finishing monthly archives on weekends running
normal Archives. I have tried to talk with upper management about
getting rid of Archives, but no go. We are running TSM 5.3.4 with
older versions of clients up to 5.3.4. Please advise Thanks

Mark -

Exactly what is trying to be achieved?  It kinda sounds like they are
trying to perform what amounts to a full backup over what was a high-
speed link in 1962, based upon old-thinking full+incremental
backups.  TSM Incremental may supply what they actually need;
otherwise, client compression would be the best they could probably
do with the networking they have and approach they are trying to
use.  We could advise better if we had more information.

   Richard Sims