ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Help! Trying to figure out what caused slow performance

2007-08-08 08:51:25
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Help! Trying to figure out what caused slow performance
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 08:48:45 -0400
On Aug 8, 2007, at 7:58 AM, Joni Moyer wrote:

Hi Richard,

By the time I was notified of the issue the TSM client in question,
fjsu102, had already sent additional data.  Where might I be able
to get
the accounting logs on the client?

In the server directory, unless you directed it elsewhere - or, did
not turn it on.
See entry "Accounting log" in http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts .
I provide a sample reporting program on my website.

  This process from the client was
actually an archive that was going directly to disk on the TSM
server and
it was only about 461 KB.

You mean 461 MB, per your original posting.

  No migrations were running from that particular
disk pool and there were no admin tasks copying the data to a copy
pool. I
also didn't see any errors in the TSM activity log during this time
period.

If storage pool caching is turned on, that could slow things down a bit.
This may be something you'd need to analyze at the OS level, where it
may
be a disk subsystem performance issue, where your OS people can take
a look.

Again, see entry "Backup performance" in the QuickFacts.  The netstat
looksee
described there is most helpful in getting a sense of whether client or
server is the area needing attention.

   Richard Sims, at Boston University