ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Help! Trying to figure out what caused slow performance

2007-08-08 08:00:40
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Help! Trying to figure out what caused slow performance
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 07:58:43 -0400
Hi Richard,

By the time I was notified of the issue the TSM client in question,
fjsu102, had already sent additional data.  Where might I be able to get
the accounting logs on the client?  This process from the client was
actually an archive that was going directly to disk on the TSM server and
it was only about 461 KB.  No migrations were running from that particular
disk pool and there were no admin tasks copying the data to a copy pool. I
also didn't see any errors in the TSM activity log during this time
period.

Thanks for the advise!  I'll take a look again at the performance guide to
see if I have missed anything.

********************************
Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems, Storage Mngt Analyst III
Phone Number: (717)302-9966
Fax: (717) 302-9826
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com
********************************

"Richard Sims" <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
08/07/2007 02:40 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Help! Trying to figure out what caused slow performance

On Aug 7, 2007, at 9:38 AM, Joni Moyer wrote:

> Any suggestions/help in determining what the cause of this might be
> would
> be greatly appreciated!!!!!

The usual starting places...
Performing Query SEssion during the activity gives you a real-time look;
and performing 'netstat' on AIX allows you to gauge delay source.
Performing Query Node ... Format=Detailed right after the backup will
yield
wait time values which help show where delays were occurring.  Or you
can
look at the accounting records.

You don't indicate the nature of the backup.  Whereas there were ANE
records
in the TSM server Activity Log, this should not have been an API-
based TDP
type of backup, thus suggesting that either Oracle was shut down or
that the
backup was "wild", and so standard issues affecting throughput
(client factors,
including file region locking; TSM storage pool speed, etc.).  See
the TSM
Performance Tuning Guide for many things to review.  ADSM QuickFacts
summarizes
numerous elements which can affect backup performance.

    Richard Sims