ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Extend db question

2007-06-13 20:57:37
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Extend db question
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 20:56:14 -0400
That note in manual means the size of an individual DB Volume,
not the DB as a whole.  There are more "automatic extensions"
of disks, filesystems, etc. these days - and more to come.

After you have formatted a DB volume with TSM, you shouldn't monkey
with it at the OS level.

Extend DB is what you want.  Generally use size of DB volumes.
As say you have (6) 4 GB dbvols defined, to use one you would
enter: extend db 4000.  The value is in MB.

This is if you have already use "def dbvol" to create the vol of course.

David Longo

>>> Paul Dudley <pdudley AT ANL.COM DOT AU> 6/13/2007 7:55 PM >>>
This morning we received a TSM alert:

The database utilization is too high. Condition (85.1 > 85)
Recommendation: Consider a database space trigger or increase the size
of the database.

Going back through my daily TSM reports I have seen that the database
utilization has increased from 60% to 85% over the past few months. This
is to be expected as we are performing more backups than previously.

Is it correct that I should use the extend db command to do this?

The q db command shows that the database is 32 Gb in size. On the server
I have 24 Gb of free space so I have room to extend the size of the
database.

The one thing that confuses me is this statement in the help extend db
command:

Attention: You cannot change the size of an allocated database volume
after
it has been defined to Tivoli Storage Manager. If you do, Tivoli Storage
Manager may not initialize correctly and data could be lost.

Can someone clarify this statement for me and confirm that using the
extend db command is the correct way to do this.

Thanks
Paul

Paul Dudley
ANL IT Operations Dept.
ANL Container Line
pdudley AT anl.com DOT au

ANL - CELEBRATING 50 YEARS

ANL DISCLAIMER
This e-mail and any file attached is confidential, and intended solely to the
named addressees. Any unauthorised dissemination or use is strictly prohibited.
If you received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by
return e-mail from your system. Please do not copy, use or make reference to it
for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any person.