ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] ANR8443E and shared libraries

2007-04-12 14:42:39
Subject: [ADSM-L] ANR8443E and shared libraries
From: Nick Laflamme <nick.laflamme AT NIST DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:42:16 -0400
I seem to have orphaned several tape volumes in a shared library. They
had been defined to storage groups on servers that don't manage the
library but had recently been reclaimed in the normal course of
business. Since we were low on scratch tapes these storage groups had
several volumes in EMPTY state, I had the seemingly clever idea of DEL
VOLUME commands on the systems where these volumes were being used.

Alas, the library managing system still thinks these volumes are
assigned to the other systems in Private status, not in Scratch status,
and I can't UPDATE LIBVOLs to put them in scratch status; the dreaded
ANR8443E message comes in return.

Worse, if I try to put them back into a storage pool on the server to
which they're assigned, I get ANR2400E messages that the volume has been
used for something else.

I tried to check one of the volumes out and then back in again; no luck,
just another 8443E.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should try next?

Is what I was trying to do reasonable (apart from any OCD tendencies
reflected in trying so hard to manage EMPTY volumes and scratch tapes)?

Thanks,
Nick