ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TDP SQL Scheduling with multiple instances

2007-04-11 09:18:16
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TDP SQL Scheduling with multiple instances
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 09:17:50 -0400
Chip,

I usually recommend that customers have a separate TSM NODENAME
for each SQL Server instance that they back up. This allows for each
SQL Server instance to have their data managed separately.
I also recommend a separate scheduler instance for similar reasons.
Use the '/SQLSERVER=instance-name" option to specify which
instance you want to communicate with during backup or restore.

This isn't the only way to approach this, and each customer situation
is different depending on how the data for each of the SQL Server
instances is related and how you want to manage the data.
You need to figure out what works best for your situation.

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 04/10/2007
04:57:38 PM:

> Our Helpdesk guru has a machine called TESTHELPDESKWEB, and on it he has
2
> instances of SQL (looks like MSDE).
>

> Anyway, I had already set up backups (with a TDP scheduler) for an
instance
> called TESTHELPDESKWEB\USERIDS,3948. I had that for the SQLSERVER
parameter
> in the tdpsql.cfg. Now there is also an instance called
TESTHELPDESKWEB,1433.