ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] data stored on volumes

2007-04-04 22:06:43
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] data stored on volumes
From: Avy Wong <AWong AT MOHEGANSUN DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 22:05:45 -0400
Thank you David. The link you send me helps. Since most of our client
nodes are set up with Standard Policy, the retention days will be .....

"Up to two backup versions of a file on the client's system are retained
in server storage. The most recent backup version is retained for as long
as the original file is on the client file system. All other versions are
retained for up to 30 days after they become inactive."

and

"One backup version of a file that has been deleted from the client's
system is retained in server storage for 60 days."

will apply.

Sure if you have time, please send me a copy of your white paper.

Thanks again.

Avy Wong
Business Continuity Administrator
Mohegan Sun
1 Mohegan Sun Blvd
Uncasville, CT 06382
(860) 862-8164
cell (860) 961-6976

David Moring <david AT APPLIEDAUTONOMICS DOT COM>
04/04/2007 05:52 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] data stored on volumes

Avy,

I have followed your thread for a while, there may be more depth to your
question, but I will take a shot...

"How long" data is stored is determined by your retention policies.  The
files should be "deleted" and the space reclaimed upon expiration,
unless the file is in an archive copy group, or is being held, or has
subfiles that have not expired...it can get a bit convoluted.

Here is a  link to the reference:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v1r1/topic/com.ibm.itsml.doc/anrlgd54405.htm#expovr

If you need more control, then you may need to build/modify a policy.

If the issue is the filling of tapes, it may be time to explain to all
of your end users the difference between backup and archive (we call it
our "tough love" discussion around here).  I wrote a white paper on that
for one of our municipal clients last year, I can dig it out and send it
to you, if you think it would be useful.

If that missed your question, zap me a note or post back to the list...

David Moring
www.backupinsight.com
(a Division of Applied Autonomics)
david AT appliedautonomics DOT com