ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] HSM for Windows

2007-04-05 04:38:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] HSM for Windows
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 10:36:35 +0200
Weeks, Debbie wrote:
> Yes, and that's exactly the problem as far as I'm concerned. We can
> migrate the data to TSM disk, where it will have to stay unless a
> migration to tape can be determined by the amount of time the file
> has been unused.  With the current capabilities we cannot do a smart
> migration to a third tier of storage, which would be tape.  True HSM
> products can do this.  This software is just archive with a stub
> file.

Even 'true' HSM for eg. AIX cannot (really, not!) migrate files on the
tsm server from disk to tape based on the amount of time the file has
been untouched on the diskpool on your TSM server.

Now, as I said, you can archive to diskpool, no problem, that way you
can get about as good functionality with windows HSM as you can get with
AIX HSM. All smarter things have to happen on your local filesystem. I
guess if you need more than that, you will need a mainframe or such. Or
SGI DMF (adic storenext or whatever). And still then you'll have to do
vary complicated things to do just a tad more than you can do with TSM
HSM for windows.