ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Good or bad idea?...offsite disk.

2007-04-02 12:43:50
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Good or bad idea?...offsite disk.
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 12:42:50 -0400
Yes, we've backed up the db to a devclass=file for many years.

>>> ameadows AT BMI DOT COM 04/02/07 1:03 PM >>>
You wouldnt be able to set up a copypool for the offsite copy it would
have to be another onsite pool. You could always try using the devcl
type of file and going that route.

I would also look at doing the dbbackups as devcl=file. That is what
we
are looking at doing to reduce the waste of gigs of tape for a rather
small db.

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 11:55 -0400, Lawrence Clark wrote:
> We have two sites. The 2nd site has primary storage, the primary
> copypools. Both are currently in tape libaries.
>
> We do plan to move the primary storage pools to SATA drives on a
> DS4800.
>
> We did try migrateing the copypools to SATA drives but I found the
> setup very awkward. Primary pools can be random storage, copypools
can
> only be disk based if they simulate drives.
>
> What I found was when it reached the end of the disk 'volume' it
> generated a write error on the 'volume' and then allocated another
> volume and continued. However, this meant reseting the volumes that
> reached the maximum volume size each morning.
>
> The problem with mirroring primary storage pool is a delete on one
is
> an immediate delete on the mirror.

> One of my TSM servers is using disk only for onsite pools and tape
for
> offsite.  I am considering putting a SAN offsite to mirror my onsite
> diskpools thereby doing away with tape all together.  This server
has
> about 12TB of storage.  I have a dedicated fiber link to my offsite
> location.
> Is this a good or bad idea?  I understand that DRM won't be in
effect
> any longer.  Client restores would be more readily available if
needed
> but what about the database?  Any considerations or recommendations
> there or elsewhere?
>
> Thanks,
> Johnny

addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential,
privileged, and/or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable
law.  If this electronic message is from an attorney or someone in the
Legal Department, it may also contain confidential attorney-client
communications which may be privileged and protected from disclosure.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received
this message in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding,
printing, or copying is strictly prohibited.  Please notify the New York
State Thruway Authority immediately by either responding to this e-mail
or calling (518) 436-2700, and destroy all copies of this message and
any attachments.

immediately.

Thank you.