ADSM-L

Re: Pricing model for 5.4

2007-02-08 10:57:16
Subject: Re: Pricing model for 5.4
From: Mark Stapleton <mark.s AT EVOLVINGSOL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 09:54:46 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager on behalf of Kauffman, Tom
I second that.  In general, my approach is that any product the vendor
is too ashamed to post pricing for is a product not worth considering.

There is no issue of "shame" here.

Buying software at the enterprise level is not like going to the grocery store,
where the price of apples is the same for everyone. Resellers offer many levels
of pricing to their customers, depending upon the relationship with the
customer, whether IBM auspices are involved, what is being bought, and what
kind of "deal" is in place.

I did a year's work for a customer that bought a tubload of Tivoli software
(reportedly $250,000USD at full retail price) for virtually nothing--but the
customer had to buy a year of my services to close the deal.

If you post a "standard" price publicly, that sends a message (at least in
American culture) that the price is firm and not subject to dicker. In the IT
world, *nothing* is not subject to dicker.

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.s AT evolvingsol DOT com)
Senior consultant