ADSM-L

Re: Pricing model for 5.4

2007-02-14 09:44:38
Subject: Re: Pricing model for 5.4
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:43:36 -0500
I don't even bother with manual spreadsheet; I do scribble on small
yellow pad once a year. We've gone from 'node-level' licensing that made
no sense -- an SP-frame is a node, with up to 32 CPUs in 16 boxes under
ADSM 2.x (needs 16 node registrations at the server); to node-level
where a box is a node (but you may need to set it up under several IDs,
each of which looks like a separate node on the server); to CPU-based
licensing (and we paid about 60% of list on each node to convert to
cpu-based licenses) where you may still need to define the system
multiple times to TSM, but at least it isn't trying to count any more;
to the current 'processor value base' -- and I'm not going to try
counting systems until renewal time (Novemeber, for us).

And I see I left out the cpu-based pricing where server cpus cost more
than client cpus, and if someone's laptop had an accessable file share
it was a server . . .

My over-all cpu count has been constant for the last few years; we
picked up a few extra licenses when we did the node to cpu conversion,
and I've a few systems (SAP App servers) that don't need to be backed
up, so those cpu licenses get used elsewhere.

But -- until the product does a better job of tracking -- I'm going to
stick to my once per year scratch-pad audit and reconciliation; I'm not
paid for, nor does my job description cover, vendor licensing
compliance.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc