ADSM-L

Re: JBB Question(s)

2006-12-12 11:09:38
Subject: Re: JBB Question(s)
From: Mark Stapleton <mark.s AT EVOLVINGSOL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:08:03 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Bos, Karel
>I partly agree with the OS statement. Partly because I find it
difficult
>to explain why an OS is able to contain one disk with +6 million files
>but the back-up application isn't able to get the back-up stable
>(journaling) or working at all (normal incremental) without using time
>consuming options like memory efficient.

Disk accessibility and (proper) use of RAM for processes are two
entirely different issues. Windows has (IMO) never been a real server
operating system, for this and many other reasons.

>Splitting a disk over multiple nodes means hard coding the subdirs
under
>root in the opt files. If a system administrator puts new data in a
>different folder, this data will be mist. Work around, adding a extra
>node which has a exclude.dir for all dirs already being managed by the
>other nodes.

...or the judicious use of DOMAIN statements could do the same this, as
could regular expressions. (Does anyone know if Windows clients
recognize regular expressions in include/exclude statements?)

>But what if the root is de container of all data? Meaning, the profile
>disk of a windows box with all profiles (6000+) in the root of the
disk?
>Do I really want to be force to configure multiple nodes + one extra to
>get the backup of this monster running? MemEff runs for over 36 hours
>and Journal db is +2 GB within 24 hours.

Such a system (all data in the root filesystem/drive) is very poorly
designed.

If you want highly robust storage accessibility, Windows/Intel are *not*
the way to go for either software or hardware. The only reason many data
shops try to cram 2-4TB of storage onto a single Windows server is
because there is no desire to lay out the money or skills to do the work
properly (i.e., UNIX).

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.s AT evolvingsol DOT com)
Senior TSM consultant