ADSM-L

Re: Skipped Files During Restore

2006-12-02 09:52:34
Subject: Re: Skipped Files During Restore
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 07:52:33 -0700
My 2 cents:

- Examine the list of files and make sure that the flagged files do indeed
exist on the target machine. While this might sound trivial or obvious,
it's still a good "sanity check".

- Is the user performing restores of inactive files? For example, using
the -INACTIVE option could cause multiple versions of the same file to be
restored, which would account for the messages being seen.

- By default, restore operations restore the data to their original
locations. For Windows, the file names are UNC-based, so if the original
file name is \\source\c$\somefile.txt, then by default, the client will
attempt to restore the file to machine "source". If the target machine has
a different name, then you need to specify a target location for the
restore, e.g.:

   dsmc restore \\source\c$\ \\target\c$\ -subdir=yes

Otherwise the client will try to restore the files to the source machine,
where those files might still exist.

I would recommend that you identify the specific syntax and options used
for the restore (or their GUI equivalents).

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

http://www.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 12/01/2006
08:54:52 AM: