ADSM-L

Re: Skipped Files During Restore

2006-12-02 09:10:57
Subject: Re: Skipped Files During Restore
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 09:09:35 -0500
On Dec 1, 2006, at 3:40 PM, Dennis, Melburn IT7 wrote:

Here is the list of some of the files that were skipped according the
dsmerror.log file.  I know the user in question and he's pretty
competent, and he swears that the drive he's restoring to is
completely
empty (it's a brand new box).  He's tried to the restore on 2 separate
instances, both on different drives/paths. ...

Mel -

Thanks for posting samples of the filenames involved.  They are
rather ordinary files, rather than system files or the like, so this
is an "interesting" problem.  I would still like you to follow
through on my earlier recommendations that you review server session
records to assure that there is no seeming interrupted sessions or
redundant sessions; and get ahold of the exact command string which
the user employed to invoke the restoral.  (Many restoral questions
are obscured by not knowing what type of restoral was attempted, or
particular ingredients therein.)

If no irregularities are evident, and the receiving drive was really
empty, then I can only think that some schizophrenia is involved.
What I'm thinking is that TSM is restoring the same thing twice
because it somehow has the same objects in server storage as
different objects, and thus doesn't realize that they amount to the
same thing.  I'm no Windows expert, but there may be some manner in
which this can occur.  You might be able to explore this via Query
Backup commands.  To get by this for the recovery test, consider
running the restoral with -REPlace=All, which should be innocuous for
your restoral circumstances.

  Richard Sims