ADSM-L

Re: Compression of raw backup data onto tape

2006-09-07 08:19:41
Subject: Re: Compression of raw backup data onto tape
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 08:18:22 -0400
On Sep 7, 2006, at 8:11 AM, Jon Evans wrote:

Does TSM track the total size of backups (raw data), and total size of
the backup images on tape media?  If so, how can I obtain this
information?

TSM tracks only how much data it has written to the drive/medium: it
has no knowledge of what the storage hardware actually did to store
the data.

I am trying to obtain this information so that it will give me a
compression value of data transferred to tape (if any)

You know the native, physical capacity of such media, and you know
how much TSM has written to it when it reaches a Full state...

   Richard Sims       http://people.bu.edu/rbs