ADSM-L

Communications Protocol Error

2006-07-11 14:12:36
Subject: Communications Protocol Error
From: "Levi, Ralph" <RLevi AT HESS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:11:43 -0400
Hi All,

I am running TSM 5.2.7 on AIX 5.3 and a remote client running 5.3.4 on
W2K.  I have two problems that are probably related.  Perhaps someone
has seen this and could help clue me in.

My nightly incremental backup always fails with the following message:

dsmsched.log

--- SCHEDULEREC OBJECT BEGIN DAILY_BACKUP_1900 07/10/2006 19:00:00
ANS1026E The session is rejected: There was a communications protocol
error.

dsmerror.log

cuGetPSQryResp: Out of sequence verb received; VB_PSQryResp or EndTxn
wanted
ANS1026E The session is rejected: There was a communications protocol
error.

When I start the backup gui on the client, the first start tries to
establish a session but after 10 minutes times out with a gui message:

Communications Protocol Error.

HOWEVER, while the session initialization is in the 10 minute "wait", I
can initiate another gui session from the same console without any issue
and run a backup via the gui successfully.

Also, if I have a gui session active at the time the nightly incremental
wants to start, it does establish a session and the scheduled backup
runs to a successful completion.

I have tried every backup client from 5.1 to 5.3.4 .  This has been
going on for months so I can't rightfully say what if anything has
changed.  It used to run successfully all the time but over time TSM and
network upgrades have certainly occurred.  The problem is recreateable
every run.

Anyone's insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ralph Levi