ADSM-L

Re: TSM and Wake-on-LAN

2006-07-10 13:49:48
Subject: Re: TSM and Wake-on-LAN
From: Michal Mertl <michal.mertl AT I DOT CZ>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 19:49:08 +0200
Richard Sims wrote:
> On Jul 10, 2006, at 12:30 PM, Michal Mertl wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've taken over an old TSM install and they say that powered down
> > clients had been backed up in the past. The only way this could have
> > been achieved which I can think of is using Wake-on-LAN. I found on
> > the
> > web WOL and Tivoli mentioned somewhere but nothing concrete. Does TSM
> > support it? Does anyone deployed it somewhere with some 3rd party
> > software to do WOL wrapped in a script or something?
> >

> Michal -
>
> I would expect that they simply mean that the clients were powered
> down and decommissioned, but that there were backups done in the
> past, before they were taken out of service.  A 'Query FIlespace
> <Nodename> Format=Detailed" on the TSM server will tell you when the
> last unfettered Incremental type backup was performed, and 'Query
> Node <Nodename> Format=Detailed' will reveal when the node last
> conducted a session.

Thank you but I know these commands. I probably expressed myself bad,
maybe because of my bad English.

There is about 20 Windows workstations configured to be backed up by TSM
server during the night. The users often turn them off when leaving the
office and backup thus fails (the server can't contact them). If TSM (or
some 3rd party application executed by pre-backup script or something)
sent WOL packets to the workstations and they were correctly configured
the backup will succeed.

--
S pozdravem

Michal Mertl