ADSM-L

Re: TSM and Wake-on-LAN

2006-07-10 13:31:54
Subject: Re: TSM and Wake-on-LAN
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 13:31:02 -0400
On Jul 10, 2006, at 12:30 PM, Michal Mertl wrote:

Hello,

I've taken over an old TSM install and they say that powered down
clients had been backed up in the past. The only way this could have
been achieved which I can think of is using Wake-on-LAN. I found on
the
web WOL and Tivoli mentioned somewhere but nothing concrete. Does TSM
support it? Does anyone deployed it somewhere with some 3rd party
software to do WOL wrapped in a script or something?

Michal -

I would expect that they simply mean that the clients were powered
down and decommissioned, but that there were backups done in the
past, before they were taken out of service.  A 'Query FIlespace
<Nodename> Format=Detailed" on the TSM server will tell you when the
last unfettered Incremental type backup was performed, and 'Query
Node <Nodename> Format=Detailed' will reveal when the node last
conducted a session.

In any case, TSM is just an application, where any application can be
the subject of an appropriately configured power-up sequence.

   Richard Sims