ADSM-L

Re: Failed vs Missed

2006-06-16 13:32:51
Subject: Re: Failed vs Missed
From: Mark Stapleton <mark.stapleton AT USBANK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:22:30 -0500
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 06/16/2006
11:04:54 AM:
> Can anyone with virtualized systems shed some light on at least the
missed
> backups? The failed 12 is still a mystery since I can't find anything in
the
> log yet.
> TSM server 5.3.3.0
> AIX 5.3
> Client is virtualized with a client version of 5.1.5.4 and5.2.0.3,
Windows
> 2003 Server. What I have seen recently with 5.3 is a lot of reported
Failed
> 12 nodes and some missed after the backup unless the service is recycled
> each day.

There's your problem. You're not going to get clean backups of Win2003
boxes with anything less than a client level of 5.3.2 (and 5.3.3 if you
get odd volume shadow copy errors). We're getting a lot of these errors:

06/14/2006 17:59:14 processSysvol(): NtFrsApiGetBackupRestoreSets(): RC =
2
06/14/2006 17:59:14 processSysvol(): NtFrsApiDestroyBackupRestore(): RC =
0

when Win2000 and Win2003 get certain MS hotfixes. Upgrading to 5.3.3.0
fixed the issues.

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT usbank DOT com)
MR Backup and Recovery Management

Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments, contains
information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications privacy
laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the
intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from
retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this
information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have
received this communication in error, and then immediately delete it. Thank you
in advance for your cooperation.