ADSM-L

Failed vs Missed

2006-06-16 12:05:33
Subject: Failed vs Missed
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 09:04:54 -0700
Can anyone with virtualized systems shed some light on at least the missed
backups? The failed 12 is still a mystery since I can't find anything in the
log yet.

TSM server 5.3.3.0

AIX 5.3

Client is virtualized with a client version of 5.1.5.4 and5.2.0.3, Windows
2003 Server. What I have seen recently with 5.3 is a lot of reported Failed
12 nodes and some missed after the backup unless the service is recycled
each day.

Failed 12: Now I know the error code says (except for skipped files) but so
far I can't see anything in the log to point to anything else. Maybe someone
has more specifics I can look for. (Which reminds me again I hate the way
this activity log shows in the ISC console) so maybe I'm just missing it.

As for the missed systems. The log on the node shows it was contacted and
starts but that is also the only entry, it never really even starts backing
up data which is why I would expect the next night to be missed. The only
error log entry is below, not sure if that is related to the issue or not.
We did migrate this from a 5.2 TSM server on AIX 5.2 to this new server and
they worked for a week or so just fine. It is all of a sudden these same 5
servers have started to act the same, so it's not like they were just
virtualized and added to the new system.

06/14/2006 17:59:14 processSysvol(): NtFrsApiGetBackupRestoreSets(): RC = 2

06/14/2006 17:59:14 processSysvol(): NtFrsApiDestroyBackupRestore(): RC = 0

Return Code Value

12 - One or more error messages (except for skipped files) were issued

Thanks,

Geoff Gill

TSM Administrator

PeopleSoft Sr. Systems Administrator

SAIC M/S-G1b

(858)826-4062

Email:  <mailto:geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com> geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com