ADSM-L

SAN Discovery server option

2006-06-07 13:35:04
Subject: SAN Discovery server option
From: Sean English <sean.english AT WACHOVIA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 13:34:41 -0400

Have a quick question about how the SANdiscovery server option is supposed to act.  From what I read, this option will basically keep track and scan all SAN devices that are attached to a TSM server and update the serial #'s accordingly (re-zoned, redefined, etc).  We are wanting to implement this option in the environment I work at.  However, the main reason we want to implement it is when we add frames to a 3584 tape library, it would be nice if we did not have to delete all the paths, drives, and library and redefine it all.  So far, this is the only way I've found to get TSM to recognize the addition of a new frame(s) to an existing tape library.  So, is the SANdiscovery option a validate option for keeping track of such additions or are we stuck with have to redefine everything so TSM knows about the addition of expansion frames to an existing 3584?

TSM version 5.3.2.1
AIX 5.3 ml 4
Atape version 9.7.3.0

Thanks,