ADSM-L

AW: TDP for Exchange - Management Class

2006-05-19 05:36:07
Subject: AW: TDP for Exchange - Management Class
From: Salak Juraj <J.Salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 11:34:56 +0200
Hi Del!

I might be wrong because I do not use TDP 4 Mails by myself, I am only RTFM,
but I´d think about simplified "solution 2 by Del":

Background:
I think the only reason for having different requirements for monthly an yearly
backups is TSM storage space,
if this were not a problem keeping monthly backups for as long as yearly
backups should be kept would be preferrable.

a) create only 1 NODENAME
b) define
        INCLUDE "*\...\full"  EXCH_STANDARD and maybe
        INCLUDE "*\...\incr" EXCH_STANDARD and maybe
        INCLUDE "*\...\diff"  EXCH_STANDARD
appropriately to your regular (daily) backup requirements

c) define
        INCLUDE "*\...\copy" EXCH_MONTHLY_AND_YEARLY
appropriate to maximal combined  requirements of your monthly AND yearly
requirements
AND have EXCH_MONTHLY point to separate TSM storage pool (EXCH_VERYOLD)

d) on regular basis (maybe yearly) check out all full tapes from EXCH_VERYOLD
storage pool from library.
Disadvantage: reclamation of backup storage pool issues because of offsite
tapes in primary storage pool,
but this can be solved as well.

You will end with a bit less automated restore (only) for very old data
but with very clear and simple concept for everyda/everymonth backup operations
and with more granularity (monthly) even for data older than a year.

I am interested in your thoughts and doubts about this configuration!

regards
Juraj