ADSM-L

Re: TDP for Exchange - Management Class

2006-05-12 09:13:49
Subject: Re: TDP for Exchange - Management Class
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 09:13:33 -0400
Hi Volker,

Are you using separate NODENAMEs for each of the different
DSM.OPT files? If not, your solution won't do what you think.

Data Protection for Exchange stores objects in the backup pool,
not the archive pool. That means, each full backup gets the
same TSM Server name (similar to backing the same file name up
with the BA Client.) It follows normal TSM Server policy rules.
That means, if you are performing FULL backups using the
same NODENAME, each time you back up with a different
management class, all previous backups will get rebound to
that new management class... just like BA Client file backups.
Remember, this is standard behavior for BACKUP. You are trying to
get ARCHIVE type function, which won't work.

Good news... there is a way to do exactly what you want...
... I have two ways to do it.

Solution 1:
  Create a separate NODENAME for your 3 types of backups.
  For example:  EXCHSRV1, EXCHSRV1_MONTHLY, EXCHSRV1_YEARLY
  Have a separate DSM.OPT for each NODENAME, with the proper
  management class bindings. Set up your three schedules for
  your three separate nodenames.

Solution 2:
  Create 2 separate NODENAMEs. Use one for the STANDARD and
  MONTHLY backups (perform COPY type backups for your MONTHLY backups).
  Use the other nodename for the YEARLY backups.
  For example:  EXCHSRV1, EXCHSRV1_YEARLY
  Have one DSM.OPT for your STANDARD and MONTHLY backups and
  a different DSM.OPT for your YEARLY backups.
  In the DSM.OPT file for your STANDARD and MONTHLY backups,
  set up different policy bindings for FULL backups vs. COPY
  backups (since FULL and COPY get named differently on the
  TSM Server, they will also get their own policy.)

  Example DSM.OPT INCLUDE statements are like this:
  *---* The following example binds all FULL objects
  *---* to management class EXCH_STANDARD:
    INCLUDE "*\...\full" EXCH_STANDARD

  *---* The following example binds all COPY objects
  *---* to management class EXCH_MONTHLY:
   INCLUDE "*\...\copy" EXCH_MONTHLY

As far as your original question... you can check the
management class bindings by bringing up the
Data Protection for Exchange GUI... go to the restore tab,
click on the storage group you want to look at. It will
show the management class bindings. (Make sure to
view active and inactive, to see the previous
backup bindings as well.)
You can also use the SHOW VERSION TSM Server command:
   SHOW VERSION EXCHSRV1 *
   SHOW VERSION EXCHSRV1_MONTHLY *
   SHOW VERSION EXCHSRV1_YEARLY *
This will show you the management class bindings.

I hope this helps. Let me know if any of this isn't clear.

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 05/12/2006
03:03:17 AM: