ADSM-L

Re: Multiple storage pools?

2006-05-11 15:49:19
Subject: Re: Multiple storage pools?
From: Andrew Carlson <naclos AT SWBELL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 12:48:59 -0700
What happens during a copy is that any data that has not been copied is
copied.  So, for your example, the second copy on Tuesday morning will
copy all files that have changed since the copy ran on Monday. Think of
it more as a sync up than an incremental.  For example, if a copy pool
tape gets detroyed, all you have to do is delte that tape with a
discarddata=yes, and the next backup stgpool will pick up that data and
copy it to a new tape in the copy storage pool.

--- Nick Laflamme <nick.laflamme AT NIST DOT GOV> wrote:

> TSM 5.2, AIX servers
>
> I'm a little unclear about the intricacies of using more than one
> copypool with a storage pool. There are allusions in the 5.2
> Administrator's Guide to problems restoring files when no copypool
> has a
> complete copy of a storage pool's contents. I'm a bit unclear how
> such a
> state could come about, except in the case of a copypool medium being
> destroyed.
>
> Suppose on Monday morning, I issue:
>
> BACKUP STGPOOL SP1 DRCP1
>
> and it finishes normally.
>
> Clients back up to SP1 that night.
>
> Tuesday morning, we run:
>
> BACKUP STGPOOL SP1 CP1
>
> followed by
>
> BACKUP STGPOOL SP1 DRCP1
>
> When the Tuesday copy from SP1 to DRCP1 runs, will it copy all the
> files
> from SP1 that have changed since the previous copy to DRCP1 ran, or
> will
> it only copy the files in SP1 that changed since the Tuesday copy to
> CP1
> started (or finished?)?
>
> Another way of phrasing the question (I think) is, "does BACKUP
> STGPOOL
> do the equivalent of an incremental backup compared to the last
> BACKUP
> STGPOOL to the same copypool, or to the last BACKUP STGPOOL to any
> copypool?"
>
> I tried to RTFM, but either I didn't find the right FM, or I didn't
> understand the answer if I read it.
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

Andy Carlson
Gamecube:$150,PSO:$50,Broadband Adapter: $35, Hunters License: $8.95/month,
The feeling of seeing the red box with the item you want in it:Priceless.