ADSM-L

Re: HELP! Recovery log is almost 100% full!!!

2006-05-02 14:37:57
Subject: Re: HELP! Recovery log is almost 100% full!!!
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 14:37:10 -0400
Joni -

You are then apparently running in LOGMode=Normal, rather than
Rollforward.

While Normal mode allows some conveniences such as not having to run
a dbbackup to reclaim Recovery Log space, the serious risk of data
loss makes it unsuitable for Enterprise use.  With Normal mode, TSM
db restoral is to a point in time, and no more: all transactions
since that time are lost.  This can be disastrous where departments
naturally expect that the data they have sent to the all-preserving
TSM server is safely resident there after a Backup or Archive
session, such that if the files are then intentionally (human
deletion, or -DELetefiles in an Archive) or unintentionally (disk
crash, human error) lost from the client, that they can be gotten
back from TSM.  After all, that's the whole point of a very expensive
product such as TSM.

I have always run with LOGMode=Rollforward, and would never use
Normal - which is rather antithetical to the purpose of the product.
I would wager that no TSM administrator who has chosen to run with
Normal mode has informed dependent departments that their data may be
lost because of such an implementation choice - knowing that irate
managers would retort, "Are you out of your mind??"  Review topic
"Database and Recovery Log Protection" in the Admin Guide in
considering the choice.

   Richard Sims