ADSM-L

Re: Serious performance problems with large BUFPOOLSIZE

2006-01-27 12:06:23
Subject: Re: Serious performance problems with large BUFPOOLSIZE
From: Matthew Glanville <matthew.glanville AT KODAK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:05:54 -0500
> Oo, neat!
>
> Do I understand you correctly to say that you've got 32G of memory and
> a 4G database?  If you've got core of a similar size to your DB, then
> I suggest an experiment: instead of sticking it all in a buffer, make
> some RAMdisk, and stick a third copy of your DB vols there, and see if
> that helps on read performance. :)

No, not quite.
TSM database size is 150 GB.
Server RAM size 32 GB.

search through that much memory takes longer than a disk read.  The larger
it it gets, the slower database reads get...  This mostly affects
incremental backups of systems with large amounts of files, and expiration
processes.  When I had it set to 4 GB or higher performance was slow, 30
GB horrendous, currently it is set to 1 GB, performance is acceptable, but
maybe it can be lower for even better performance, until there is some
other low point at which too low makes it slower again as repetitive disk
i/o increases.

Matt G.