ADSM-L

Re: Mac 5.2.3.12 point in time problem

2006-01-27 07:36:13
Subject: Re: Mac 5.2.3.12 point in time problem
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 07:35:19 -0500
On Jan 27, 2006, at 7:01 AM, Farren Minns wrote:

Good morning all

Just trying to a point in time restore from a 5.2.3.12 Client that is
Unicode enabled. Now when I try to go back to 14 Jan at 06:00 I
don't see
the files I want even though I am also displaying active/inactive
files.

But, if I skip the point in time bit and just view active/inactive
I see a
number of versions of the files I want, some of which were indeed
modified
and backed up on Jan 13th. Has anyone else had similar problems or
is it
something I'm doing wrong?

This question comes up at least once a week, and almost always
involves GUI use in conjunction with faulty directory retention
policies, where the GUI needs to iteratively query the server for
directory structure information as it drills down through the file
system, and directories are missing. The client manuals, Technotes,
APARs, Oxford, and SHARE presentations tell of this. Here is what the
Mac client manual says:

Note: If there are no backup versions of a directory for the point-in-
time you specify, files within that directory are not restoreable
from the GUI. However, you can restore these files from the command
line.

   Richard Sims