ADSM-L

export node to server and backup clash

2005-10-24 07:30:03
Subject: export node to server and backup clash
From: Steven Bridge <ccaasub AT UCL.AC DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:29:43 +0100
I was exporting a large node ( 290 GB, 2.3 million objects ) with
all files ( active & inactive ) from one TSM server to another
over the weekend. Inadvertently, a scheduled backup took place
to the destination TSM server for that node in the middle of this
process.

The manual warns about performing a backup at the same time as an
export due to 'unpredictable' results. No errors were seen while
this took place and a random look at the client restores shows nothing
obviously wrong.

What are the chances that the backups for this node are OK and that
future backups and restores will be unaffected - apart perhaps from
having a batch of files with an extra version kept ?

Is there any sanity check I could run to check the consistency of the
database for this node ?

I would prefer not to re-run the export if at all possible as it took
almost 2 days to complete.

 Steven Bridge     Systems Group, Information Systems, EISD
                          University College London