ADSM-L

AIX devices under recovery scenario

2005-07-08 10:02:47
Subject: AIX devices under recovery scenario
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 09:02:11 -0500
TSM 5.1.10.0 (TSM 5.3 soon) on AIX 5.2 ML-3 (AIX 5.3 soon)

I'm writing the procedure for our updated DR process, and I have one key
question regarding AIX device definitions.

We have three tape libraries:  two host our primary pools and one hosts
our unified copypool.  With rmt0 as the server's internal drive, the AIX
device definitions run like this:

Primary #1:  rmt1-4
Primary #2:  rmt5-8
Copy: rmt9-12  -and- mt2-5

Under a DR scenario, we would have "a" library drop-shipped to our DR
site.  We would restore the TSM database from a replicated SAN LUN so that
doesn't require any tape resources.  Now we have to add the drop-shipped
library to the recovery server.

Since we restored the DB from our production system, it expects to find
the same libraries and associated AIX devices in the PATH definitions. But
those devices are no longer valid.  Furthermore, once I  connect the
drop-shipped library to the recovery server and run cfgmgr, I end up with
AIX devices at rmt1-rmt4.  Those AIX devices are referenced by the
definition for Primary #1.  Also, since it will not be an IBM library -
probably - when I create the lb/mt devices they won't match the ones
associated with our production copypool.

I know I can "chainsaw" my way through the TSM device and path definitions
to fix this situation.  But what is the BEST PRACTICE for fixing all this?

Please remember that at some point, the disaster will end and we will want
to shift back to our production system at our normal company site.  We
don't want to orphan any new data that was backed up while in DR mode.

Thanks in advance.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram, L.L.C.