ADSM-L

Re: 15,000,000 + files on one directory backup

2005-06-17 16:40:08
Subject: Re: 15,000,000 + files on one directory backup
From: Egon Blouder <egonle AT NETSCAPE DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 16:39:50 -0400
Hi,

I would disagree on your point.
Having 15 million files on one nodes crash dsmsvc process due to memory
problems. Each file stored on the TSM servers creates a database entry that
needs about 300 bytes in memory during backup. That means that the client has
to handle about 300*15*10**6/10**3 ~ 4.5GB of database entry. As on Windows
2000 each process can only have 2GB (or 3GB; TSM client doesn't support PAE)
dsmsvc stops working.
You have to use memoryefficent=yes. however that options delays the backup
process and I don't know if it ever uses resourceutilization=10!??

I'm still looking on how to configure multiple TSM schedules which write to a
single node on the server. Any help?

Will Tivoli add PAE functionality to TSM client software?

Regards,

..--