ADSM-L

Re: Volume Label

2005-04-19 08:47:53
Subject: Re: Volume Label
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 08:46:55 -0400
On Apr 19, 2005, at 8:12 AM, TSM User wrote:

As I can know the label of a volume that doesn't have external label
(manual drive)????

Thank you

If the sticker fell off the tape, you can use an OS utility to dump the
first few records of the tape, where a hex display will allow you to
determine the volume name. (Remember that IBM standard labels are in
EBCDIC.) Topic "Tape labels" in
http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts provides some guidance in that
area.

And consider that the sticker could possibly have dislodged while in
the drive.

FWIW, I've updated my http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ProgrammingExamples.html
web page to include a sample C program for interpreting tape labels,
which has been useful to me in the past, and which may be of some help
to you. Whereas I developed it from my own point of view, I'd be happy
to entertain feedback for generalizing it based upon the experiences of
others.

    Richard Sims