ADSM-L

dsmc hangs in AIX when using KRB5A authentication

2005-02-16 04:32:44
Subject: dsmc hangs in AIX when using KRB5A authentication
From: Jurjen Oskam <jurjen-tsm AT STUPENDOUS DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:32:11 +0100
Hi there,

On an AIX 5.2 ML 4 64bit system we use KRB5A authentication to
authenticate some local users against Active Directory using
Kerberos. This works fine.

There is a problem with dsmc though. When run as root (who is
locally authenticated) the client works fine, but when run as
any other user (even a user who isn't authenticated using KRB5A),
it hangs. As soon as I put:

KRB5A:
        program = /usr/lib/security/KRB5A
        options = authonly

KRB5Afiles:
        options = db=BUILTIN,auth=KRB5A

... in /usr/lib/security/methods.cfg, the client hangs when run
as any local user. The instant I remove those lines, the client
will run as any user. The client hangs after the message:
"Selective Backup function invoked." (this was when executing a
selective backup, but the problem occurs on every type of backup
or archive) When the client is hanging, Q SESS on the server shows:

tsm: SERVER1>q sess

  Sess   Comm.    Sess       Wait     Bytes     Bytes   Sess    Platform Client
Name
Number   Method   State      Time      Sent     Recvd   Type
15,277   Tcp/Ip   IdleW      2 S      6.3 K       458   Node    AIX       TRIDW1
15,278   Tcp/Ip   IdleW      2 S         63         4   Node

I have opened a PMR about this, but I wondered if somebody here
encountered this problem and might have a workaround. The client
version is 5.2.2.5.
--
Jurjen Oskam