ADSM-L

Current status of reclamation process with original copies on disk

2005-01-27 06:43:33
Subject: Current status of reclamation process with original copies on disk
From: PAC Brion Arnaud <Arnaud.Brion AT PANALPINA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:43:05 +0100
Hi list,

Could anyone tell me if the performance problem related to reclamation
of copypool data when primary copy resides on disk has been solved ?
I'm asking this because we migrated our TSM server (v 5.2.2.1) on a
beefy p5 550 series, with disk pools large enough to keep one day data,
and reclamation of certain copy pools is horribly slow (lto1 drives,
gives me 2 MB/s for AIX and Windows data, if lucky).
Problem is that my daily job (copy tapes generation + db backup +
expiration ...) finishes approx. at 10 AM. So, for having decent
reclamation performance during the next step, I would need to flush the
data from disk to tape much too early in the day, therefore penalizing
an eventual restore process during the afternoon.
I need to reclaim approx. 100 GB/day for aix copypool only, and with my
actual throughput, that would mean more than 10 hours processing : I
can't afford that !
Cheers.

Arnaud

******
Panalpina Management Ltd., Basle, Switzerland, CIT Department
Viadukstrasse 42, P.O. Box 4002 Basel/CH
Phone:  +41 (61) 226 11 11, FAX: +41 (61) 226 17 01
Direct: +41 (61) 226 19 78
e-mail: arnaud.brion AT panalpina DOT com
******