ADSM-L

Define dbvolumes on raw disks

2005-01-24 19:35:28
Subject: Define dbvolumes on raw disks
From: Robert Keeney <keeneyr.dfs AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:20:07 -0500
I'm a nubie. I've had one class and wasn't even here when TSM was
installed.  I have less than a year of experience with Solaris and way
less than that with TSM. I sort of got drafted into this.

Solaris 9
TSM Version 5, Release 2, Level 2.5
Library is a SUn/StorageTek L700e30 with ten IBM Ultrium LTO2 tape drives.

I know what I need to do but not exactly how to do it.

I need to define a dbvolume to TSM and extend it. Sounds simple enough
but when I started looking at how to do this and the current
configuration it didn't seem so simple anymore.

I have several questions before I try this.

The existing volumes are on raw disks. When I create a new dbvolume do
I need to run the define dbvolume command on both raw disks?

There are two copies of the database. Do I need to extend them both or
do they automagicly sync somehow.

How can I find out what the names of the existing volumes are? I sure
don't want to overwrite anything.

Is there a howto procedures any where for this?

Can spacetriggers be used for raw disks? Sounds like a good idea.

Thanks