ADSM-L

Copy storage pool retention question

2005-01-14 09:07:52
Subject: Copy storage pool retention question
From: Joe Howell <JHowell AT SHELTERINSURANCE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:07:28 -0600
TSM 5.2 server on z/OS.  I had a problem last night with a vault tape that
TSM tried to mount but which is actually still at the vault.  What
happened was that the volume was mounted Wednesday night during a COPY
STGPOOL operation, but was not written to and was immediately unmounted.
So the status was EMPTY.  Later that night our automation issued an UPD
VOL command to mark empty vault tapes READWRITE so that our tape managment
cycle would call them back in from the vault to be scratched and reused.
The volume in question was updated, but the volume was never released to
the tape management system and did not get brought back.  Then TSM tried
to mount it again Thursday night and the mount failed.

I think what happened is that I got bitten by the copy pool's retention
period, which is set to one day.  Can anyone confirm that, if TSM mounts a
volume but doesn't write to it, that it doesn't get marked PENDING but
rather EMPTY?  Sound like a fixable problem to anyone else?

Joe Howell
Shelter Insurance Companies
(573)-214-6534
jhowell AT shelterinsurance DOT com

This e-mail is intended only for its addressee and may contain information
that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure.  If
you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by
e-mail:
postmaster AT shelterinsurance DOT com, and delete the original message.