ADSM-L

Re: LTO Media

2004-11-26 00:23:18
Subject: Re: LTO Media
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 21:04:09 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Graham Stewart
>Up to now we've been using IBM branded LTO1 tapes in out 3584
>library (AIX server, TSM 5.2.2.5).  I've found a reseller
>who's willing to sell FUJI branded tapes at about 1/2 the
>cost.  Does anyone have any comment on tape manufacturers to
>avoid (or flock to) for LTO media.  Any issues with mixing
>media from different makers?
>
>I'm assuming that there should be no problem here, but you
>never know ...

Warning: be sure that your "cheaper" media comes with barcoded labels.
I've had several customers that thought they were getting a deal, only
to find that they had to buy (relatively expensive) barcode labels
later.

Also, if you're happy with the media you're currently using, why would
you want to change? How much is your data worth?

(BTW, you need to change your reply-to entry in your mail headers.)

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627