ADSM-L

Re: LTO Media

2004-11-27 00:25:25
Subject: Re: LTO Media
From: Graham Stewart <graham.stewart AT UTORONTO DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:49:44 -0500
Thanks to everyone for their very helpful replies to my question.  I
have some more investigation to do but am leaning toward sticking with
the "IBM" tapes, given that in almost 3 years (and 520 tapes) we've had
only 3 tapes fail.  Mark's point "How much is your data worth?" is a
very good one.

Thanks very much,

--
Graham Stewart
Network and Storage Services Manager, Information Technology Services

Richard Sims wrote:
The experienced-based responses on this issue have been excellent,
and demonstrate the great value of our forum.

I don't believe it's been noted in past postings, but there is a
Tape Technology Council (http://www.tapecouncil.org/), whose mission
is to increase the awareness and understanding of taep technology,
and to serve as a resource of information.  Of pertinent note to
this topic, they have an "Ask the Expert" form under the Resources
tab, where you can ask questions about tape.  This might be an
interesting approach to take in pursuing batch quality issues.
Don't miss the excellent Articles section under that tab.

Some other things worth checking out:

  ADSM-TSM history (Mike Kaczmarski article for Computer Technology Review):
    www.plcs.nl/upload/files/nieuws/TSM%2010%20Years.pdf
 or www-1.ibm.com/industries/cpe/download9/19719/TSM_10_Years_CTR_Reprint.pdf

  "Is it Tape *and* Disk or Tape *versus* Disk?"
        http://wwpi.com/CTR_Current/June04_2.asp

 Richard Sims     http://people.bu.edu/rbs