ADSM-L

Re: Backup options

2004-11-11 17:49:26
Subject: Re: Backup options
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:49:04 -0600
David,

I run a GigE NIC in my TSM 2-way 6H1 with all SCSI-connected storage.

GigE works very well because most of the sending nodes are on 100 Mbs with
a few larger servers on GigE.  That prevents the recipient - the TSM
server - from being the bottleneck.

The CPU load scales up with the data througput, but using Topas, I have
seen as much as 80 MB/s passing through the NIC during peak backup times.
And while idle % was very low (~1 % or so) the server reported no
difficulties and response time to TSM Admin commands like "Q  PR" was
instantaneous.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram, L.L.C.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 11/10/2004
07:14:01 AM: