ADSM-L

Re: Restore from 250 GB of 2 000 000 files in 1 day

2004-11-11 17:37:09
Subject: Re: Restore from 250 GB of 2 000 000 files in 1 day
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:36:38 -0600
Ralf,

Several months ago we restored an entire file server with about one
million files totalling almost 300 GB backed up via TSM's "incremental
forever" strategy.

At the time the data was scattered across LOTS of 3570 tapes (~ 8 MB/s)
and also some LTO-1 tapes (~ 15 MB/s).  We were able to run four parallel
restore sessions to the target server which was running Windows 2003 on a
one-way P3-Xeon.

The restore took slightly over twelve hours to complete.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram, L.L.C.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 11/10/2004
02:31:13 AM:

> Hallo,
>
> is its possible to restore 250 GB ( two million files) within a day?
> Its an NSF mounted filesystem. Can parallel restore increase the
throughput
> by an NSF-mouted filesystem.
> The filesystem is mounted from a EMC cellera and symmetrix.
> The backup time was with 13 hours with parallel sessons.
> Then the data will be migrated the LTO1 tapes in an IBM 3584.
> Has any one experience with restore off many little files with high
> throughput.
>
> best regards
>
> Ralf Behrendt
> mailto:ralf.behrendt AT wgz-bank DOT de